Thursday, June 5, 2008

Washed by the Water

One of my favorite songs today contains the words, "Even when the rain falls, even when the flood starts rising, even when the storm comes, I am washed by the water."

Ephesians 5:25-27 says: "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless."

Now the Word is Jesus, so technically we are being washed by Him. And if that is the case, I'll take the water any way it comes.

Sometimes God has gently washed me, like a daddy washing his baby. Sometimes I'm cleansed in the midst of chaos, the winds and rains of a storm cleansing me, even in the midst of the pain and confusion. And other times, because I've been so dirty, God has power washed me. Sometimes it hurts to be made clean. But when all the nastiness is stripped away, God can use the being He created to shine as a living beacon of His love and righteousness.

Father, I just ask that you would cleanse me to the core. Wash away all that is unattractive to you that I may shine forth as a living testimony to the power of your cleansing work. Wash away the grime of the world and allow me to live a pure life for You. For although I live in the world, I am not of it. I am a citizen of Your heavenly kingdom and I desire to walk with You in all in my ways. Amen.

No comments: